Happy 239th Birthday, America! The Fourth of July is a day we look forward to celebrating each year. If you’re near the Columbia area and are looking for something to do this July Fourth, here are some fun, family-friendly events to celebrate Independence Day with your family and friends.
28th Annual Carolina Celebration of Liberty: On June 28, get in the patriotic spirit at the Carolina Celebration of Liberty. Enjoy a wonderful flag waving presentation, thousands of flags and indoor fireworks. There are two showings: One at 4 p.m. and another at 7:30 p.m., and the event is being held at 1306 Hampton St. Admission is free, but you must have a ticket to enter. The ticket office opens at 1 p.m. It’s sure to be fun for the whole family!
Lexington County Peach Festival: Celebrate July Fourth with peaches and patriotism at the Lexington County Peach Festival! Festivities kick off at 9:30 a.m. with a parade followed by a day of fun activities that ends with a spectacular firework show at 10 p.m. Spend the day listening to live entertainment, gallivanting though the 100-plus Arts and Crafts Exhibits, viewing the antique car show, watching a Revolutionary War Re-enactment and tasting the area’s best authentic foods including barbecue, hot dogs, hamburgers and the countless delicious concoctions in the peach recipe contest. For more information on the festival, visit the website at www.lexingtoncountypeachfestival.com.
Lake Murray Fireworks Celebration: South Carolina’s largest firework show is a must see! The evening starts off with a festive boat parade, followed by a patriotic concert by the Lake Murray Orchestra and a grand finale firework display. There are several locations to catch this amazing firework show. Bring a chair or blanket to Dreher Island State Park and have a wonderful view of the fireworks display. Get there early because gates close at 8 p.m. and fireworks start at 9 p.m. Entry is $2 for adults and free for children 15 years old and younger. You can also watch the fireworks at both Lake Murray Dam park sites for only $3 per car entry.
In addition to these events, there are a variety of other ways to enjoy the July Fourth holiday this year:
- Columbia Blowfish Game: Bring the family to Capital City Stadium for a Blowfish game at 7 p.m. and enjoy fireworks after the game.
- Freedom Festival: Head to the Village at Sand Hill to see Ronnie McDowell at 7 p.m. and stay for a fireworks show at 9 p.m.
- America Classic Drive-In Movie: Watch a movie under the stars at the Columbia Speedway. The featured movie, Cayce, begins at 8:50 p.m.
- Fundraiser for Fallen Heroes: Come to a July Fourth party at the Lexington VFW to help raise money for fallen soldiers. Donations can be dropped off after 4 p.m. and the party starts at 7 p.m. A fireworks display will begin at 9:30 p.m.
- Fourth of July Skydiving Exhibition: Watch patriotic skydivers fly through the sky at Newberry High School beginning at 8 p.m. with fireworks to follow.
As a Columbia-area homeowner, you can enjoy fun events and family-friendly attractions that are just minutes from your home at any time! Essex Homes currently offers a myriad of communities located in some of the most sought-after areas around Columbia, Lexington and Lake Murray. For more information on these communities, visit www.EssexHomes.net.